Elephant Droppings

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Superstitions, Bad Habits

Supposedly, I am the logical, rational, and liberal partner in our marriage. I always make sure that my wife knows and remembers this fact. What she does not know is this I have my own set of superstitions. I do take care not to let her find out these so that I can feel superior :-)

  • When getting up in the morning, I put my right foot down first. Even when I swing both legs off the bed, the right foot has to touch the floor first, or I am looking at a ruined day.
  • Whenever I step on anything that has something written on it (it could be a piece of newspaper that someone had used for wrapping up shit), I have to touch the paper and touch my forehead. I have to ask forgiveness for touching the letters with my foot.
  • Like anyone else, I have my favorite clothes. If I am wearing them, well, "Give me but one firm spot on which to stand, and I will move the earth." If I am wearing something new, and I keep getting bummers on that day, irrespective of the price, those clothes are abandoned to the darkest corners of my wardrobe, their temporary resting place before being thrown out.
  • When I am traveling, I am extremely hesitant to announce my expected arrival time at the destination. When I am forced to say that, I cloak it in a series of "probably"s, and "most likely"s. When we fly, this is a major cause of friction between me and wife. She keeps on asking me about when we are going to land, and I keep on telling her to ask the pilot or the stewardess -- even though I know the ETA pretty much to the nearest quarter-hour. When I travel alone, as far as possible, I turn up unannounced at the destination.
  • When taking a shower (alone), I have to be naked, bare naked. Not even my wedding band stays.
But, hey, I don't dislike 13, I don't mind starting a journey on Tuesdays, I can walk under a ladder, and have no problem with breaking a mirror :-)

8 Comments:

  • Touching the paper and touching the forehead comes automatically to most Indians. It's got to do with Goddess Saraswati in the books! Good post!

    By Blogger nestpa, at 12:43 AM, September 01, 2005  

  • Thanks for visiting my blog :)
    and plssssss... no more nonveg comment. :(

    By Blogger സു | Su, at 3:58 AM, September 01, 2005  

  • t: thanks

    neil: The thing is we don't find any problem in stepping on Bhoomi Devi (the Earthe Goddess) :-)

    su: Yours is a blog that I enjoy reading.

    noad21: At my age, loving viruses (biological nor computer) does not rank high on my "things to do before I die" list :-) Thanks anyway.

    By Blogger പാപ്പാന്‍‌/mahout, at 7:20 AM, September 01, 2005  

  • I would call this selective superstition :) I dont have any superstitions, and that's a relief because I have friends whose superstitions I have to tolerate like apologising to some demi God if I spill salt, which I do to humor them.

    Great post.

    By Blogger silverine, at 7:15 AM, September 25, 2005  

  • Hi,

    Thanks for dropping by my blog and your comments on the various posts. Really appreciate it. I will definitely try Alexander McCall-Smith's books as suggested by you :)

    By Blogger silverine, at 1:22 AM, October 01, 2005  

  • Hi Mahout,

    Thanks for the comments on my old posts. Appreciate it. No new posts??

    By Blogger silverine, at 10:36 PM, October 07, 2005  

  • Droppings.... Nice indeed!!!
    :)

    By Blogger pr!tz, at 12:22 AM, October 10, 2005  

  • veena, silverine, pr!tz -> Thanks for visiting, and also for your kind words. This blog was in abandoned state for a time while I was setting up my Malayalam blog.

    silverine, I am sure you would like the novels by McCall-Smith. I don't know whether they are available in India though. If not, drop me a line (paappaan at gmail) and I'll see what I can do.

    By Blogger പാപ്പാന്‍‌/mahout, at 5:16 PM, October 10, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home